Both JUnit and TestNG are frameworks for testing java based programs. JUnit is important in the development of test driven development, while TestNG is designed for executing wider range of test categories. This article discusses the similarities and differences between these two testing frameworks.
Both these frameworks can be incorporated with Selenium, the world’s most widely used test automation tool for testing web based applications. Hence, both these frameworks will be taught in selenium tutorials.
Similarities between JUnit and TestNG
- Test suite can be created in both these frameworks
- Both these frameworks support Timeout tests and the same can be performed easily.
- Ignoring software web application specific test case is possible in both these frameworks.
- Expected Exception tests for software web application can be created in both these frameworks.
- JUnit annotations, @Before and @After are similar to TestNG @beofre method and @after method annotations. Some other annotations are similar for both the frameworks.
Difference between JUnit and TestNG
- Configuration of parameterized test is very easy in TestNG where as it is a tough in JUnit.
- Group test is supported by TestNG and JUnit does not support it.
- Dependency test configuration is not possible in JUnit but it is possible in TestNG
- @Before test, @After test, @Before suit, @After suit, @before groups, @After groups are supported by TestNG and not by JUnit.
- TestNG supports test prioritization and parallel tests but Junit does not support it.
You might have got a basic idea about these frameworks. As mentioned earlier, both of them can be incorporated with selenium to run tests. Selenium tutorials will discuss about both these frameworks in detail.
When using selenium, the most important thing is to select the ideal framework. In some cases, JUnit will be the best option but in other cases TestNG can be used. One should have a very clear idea about the similarities and differences between JUnit and TestNG to take the right decision.
Integration of these frameworks with selenium will be taught in detail in all selenium testing training courses. It will be taught in depth in advanced selenium training course. There are exclusive training courses for JUnit and TestNG where the functions, applications and the process of testing using these two frameworks will be taught more elaborately. If you can attend such exclusieve courses, you will get a better idea about the technology and can work easily with these frameworks.