We are living in an era where automation is the keyword to success. Efforts are going on to bring in automation in almost all areas, it is very popular in software testing. At present, we have many test automation tools which facilitate automation of different types of tests. Out of the many such test automation tools QTP has become one of the most trusted and widely used test automation tool in the world.
QTP, which has been renamed as UFT, after adding many additional features is still more popularly known as QTP and it is a licensed product from HP. Although it is a licensed product, it is being used widely, because of certain advantages it has over other test automation tools.
- It is highly user-friendly and easy to learn
- There are many QTP testing training centres which offer thorough training in the technology.
- It can be used to test web based, desktop and also mobile applications.
- Official technical support is available round the clock.
- Tests can be carried out much quicker
- Can be incorporated with many other testing frameworks and test management tools such as QC.
When Do We Use QTP
QTP is a commercial product and it costs a few bucks for purchasing the license and for maintenance. One needs to renew the license from time to time to get official technical support. Hence, QTP is costly. It may not be advisable to use this for smaller projects where only simple tests are to be executed.
When you need to execute much complicated tests and when the project is a huge, certainly QTP will be the best bet as it will help you to save a lot of time and manpower, thus helping in reducing the production cost considerably.
VBScript is used to write test cases in QTP. It is very simple language which is almost like English and hence there will be no difficulty in learning it. Hence, anybody with basic knowledge of software applications can learn QTP and work with it.